Telephone: 519-432-8353 ext. 20662
B.A. Sociology, University of Great Falls, Montana, M.A. Sociology, University of Montana, Ph.D. Sociology, York University. Also has taught at Mount Royal University, Lakehead University, Laurentian University, York University, Brescia University College and Western University.
Courses taught include: Introductory Sociology, Criminology, Youth in Conflict with the Law, Administration of Criminal Justice, Social Deviance, Social Problems, Family Sociology, Minority Groups, and Sociological Theory.
- Marital Violence: A Study of Interspouse Homicide, San Francisco: R and E Publishers, 1978.
This study is primarily concerned with the social conditions and processes under which spousal homicide is likely to occur. The perspective used has explored both early socialization influences and situational factors that conjoin to produce the homicidal act. A Value-Added theoretical model has been introduced from the data which include early life history of the offender, marital relationships and conflicts and the structure of the homicidal act. The data came from extensive interviews with spouse killers serving time in correctional institutions of Ontario.
- The Canadian Odyssey: The Greek Experience in Canada, Toronto: McClelland and Stewart Limited, 1980.
This work is part of a series of Canadian studies on ethnic histories sponsored by the Secretary of State, Canada. Different socioeconomic aspects of the Greek Canadian communities are dealt from a historical and sociological perspective, more specifically, the study deals with the socioeconomic conditions before Greeks immigrated to Canada, the demographic aspects and problems of settlement in the host society, the development and structure of the ethnic community and social institutions, social integration into Canadian social structure and intragroup relations and conflicts.
- “Marital Violence: A Study of Interspouse Homicide” in Ishwaran, K. (ed) The Canadian Family (Second Edition). Toronto: Holt, Rinehart and Winston, 1976: 580-599
Beattie-Crysdale, Sociology Canada: Readings.
Toronto: Butterworth, 1977: 378-390
- “The Greek Canadian Family: Tradition and Change” in Ishwaran, K (ed) Canadian Families: Ethnic Variations. Toronto: McGraw-Hill Ryerson, 1980. pp. 137-149
- “Violence in the Family” in Ishwaran, K. (ed) The Modern Family: A Cross Cultural Perspective. Toronto: Thomson Educational Publishing Inc. 1988, pp. 275-291
- “Historical Development Conflict and Social Change of Greek Canadian Communities” in Vryonis, S. at al (eds) Greeks in English Speaking Countries, Melbourne, Australia, Hellenic Studies Forum, 1992, pp. 43-50
- “Factors Affecting Ethnic Group Cohesion: The Case of Greek Canadians” in Ioannides, C. (ed) Greeks in English Speaking Countries: Culture, Identity and Politics. New Rochelle: Melisa Media Associates, Inc. 1997, pp. 3-11
- “Greeks in Canada: An Historical and Sociological Perspective” in Clogg, R. (ed) The Greek Diaspora in the Twentieth Century. London: MacMillan Press, 1999 pp. 87-102.
- “Interethnic Marriages and Prospects for Ethnic Group Survival: The Case of Greek Canadians” in Tsemberis, S. et al (ed) Greek American Families: Tradition and Transformation, New York: Pella Publishing Co., 1999, pp. 137-149.
- “Elinokanadikes Kinotites: Themata Kinonikis Erevnas Stin Anatoli tou 21 Aiona” (Greek Canadian Communities: Issues on Social Research for the 21st Century), in Constantinides, S. and Th. Pelagides (ed) O Ellinismos Ston 21 Aiona (Hellenism in the 21st Century) Athens: Parazisis Publishers, 2000, pp. 327-338.
- “Greek Language Education in Canada” in Damanakis (ed) Greek Language Education Abroad, Centre for Cultural and Immigration Studies, University of Crete, Rethymno, Crete, Greece, 1999 pp. 48-59.
- “Educational Attainment and Occupational Status of Second Generation Greek Canadians” (co-authors: S. Constantinides) in Damanakis, M. et al (eds) History of Neohellenic Diaspora: Research and Education, (in Greek). Institute of Intercultural and Immigration Studies, University of Crete, Rethymno, Greece, 2004 pp. 113-119.
Articles in Referred Journals and Encyclopedias
- “Some Aspects of Organized Crime in Canada: A Preliminary Review” The Canadian Bar Journal (November, 1968), 347-359.
- Mann, W.E., (ed) Social Deviance in Canada. Copp-Clark, 1971
- Mann, W.E. (ed) Canada: A Sociological Profile. Toronto: Copp-Clark 1971
- Boydell, C.L., C.F. Grindstaff, and P.C. Whitehead (eds) Deviant Behaviour and Societal Reaction. Toronto: Holt, Rinehart and Winston, 1972.
- Silverman, Robert, and James T. Teevan, Crime in Canadian Society. Toronto: Butterworth, 1075
- “Prospects for the Prevention and Control of Organized Crime in Canada” Chitty’s Law Journal (January, 1971), 24-29.
Boydell, C.L., et al, Deviant Behaviour and Societal Reaction. Toronto: Holt, Rinehart and Winston, 1972.
- “Immigrants’ Attitudes Toward Their Children’s Interethnic Marriages in a Canadian Community” International Migration Review, Vol. 5, 1971:5-17
Revised and reprinted in:
- Ishwaran (ed) Marriage and Divorce in Canada, Toronto: Methuen, January 1982.
- “A Comparison of the Social Adaptation of Dutch, Greek, and Slovak Immigrants in a Canadian Community” International Migration Review, Vol. 6, 1972:230-244.
- “Study of Breaking and Entering Offences in Northern City, Ontario” Canadian Journal of Criminology and Corrections, Vol. 15, 1973:316-325
Silverman, Robert, and James J. Teevan Crime in Canadian Society. Toronto: Butterworth, 1975.
- “Ethnicity and Occupational Mobility: A Comparative Study of Greek and Slovak Immigrants in Ontario City” International Journal of Comparative Sociology, Vol. 15, 1974:57-67
- “Violent Crimes in a Nonmetropolitan Area of Ontario” (co-authored with Montgomery, R.) Crime and Justice Vol. 6, No. 4, 1978:234-245
- “Kin and Hometown Networks as Support Systems for the Immigration and Settlement of Greek Canadians” (co-author), Canadian Ethnic Studies. Vol. 15 (1983):42-56.
- “Greeks in Canada” published in the Canadian Encyclopedia, Volume II, p.772 (1985), Hurting Publishers, Limited, Edmonton, Alberta. A relatively short article dealing with the migration and settlement of Greek Canadians, their social and cultural life and group maintenance.
- “The Changing Organization of Greek Canadian Communities” International Journal of Comparative Sociology. Vol. 27, 1986:208-216
- “Occupational Distribution and Social Mobility of Greek-Canadian Immigrants” Journal of the Hellenic Diaspora. Vol. 14, Nos. 1 and 2, Spring-summer 1987:131-142.
- “The Impact of Greek Politics on Greek Canadian Communities” (in Greek). McGill University Monographs in Classical Archaeology and History. Proceedings of the First international Congress on the Hellenic Diaspora from Antiquity to Modern Times, Vol. II, 1991, pp. 355-362.
- “A Comparative Study of Intergenerational Mobility: Children of Immigrants in Canada and Children of the Same Age Cohort in a Greek Village of Origin” International Journal of Family and Marriage. Vol. 1, No. 1, 1992. pp. 21-33.
- “Patterns of Criminal Homicide in Greece” International Journal of Comparative Sociology. Vol. 34, 3-4, pp. 260-271.
- “Intra-Ethnic Conflicts and Its Consequences with Special Reference to Greek Canadian Communities” Hellenic Studies. Vol. 3, No. 1, 1994, pp. 59-67.
- “Spousal Homicides in Contemporary Greece” International Journal of Comparative Sociology. Vol. XXXIX, No. 2, 1998, p.p.213-223.
- “Greeks in Canada: An Historical and Sociological Perspective” in Clogg, R. (ed) The Greek Diaspora in the Twentieth Century. London: MacMillan Press, 1999, pp.87-102.
- “Greek Canadians” in Magocsi, P. (ed) The Peoples of Canada: An Encyclopedia for the Country. Toronto: University of Toronto Press, 1999, pp. 615-626.
- “Greek Resistance 1941-45: Organization Achievements and Contributions to Allied War Efforts Against the Axis Powers” International Journal of Comparative Sociology. Vol. XL, No. 2, 1999, pp. 251-269.
- “Greece in World War II, 1939-1945” in Speake G. (ed) Encyclopedia of Greece and the Hellenic Tradition. London: Fitzroy Dearborn Publishers, 2000, Vol. II, pp. 1733-1735.
- “Greek Civil War II, 1945-1949” in Speake G. (ed) Encyclopedia of Greece and the Hellenic Tradition. London: Fitzroy Dearborn Publishers, 2000, Vol. I pp.346-349.
- “Social Change and Prospects for the Survival of Hellenism in Canada” in Metalinos, N. (ed) Four Aspects of Hellenism: Politics Social Issues and the Arts. Montreal: 3 DMT Research and Information Centre, Concordia University 2003 pp.33-40.
- “Women of the Greek Resistance 1941-45 Against the Axis: An Historical and Sociological Perspective.” Atlantis: A Women’s Studies Journal, Vol. 28.1 (October 2003) pp. 28-35.
- November 4, 1978. University of Ottawa. Lecture topic: “Greek Immigration to Canada: An Historical Review” Sponsor: The Parnassos Society Inc. Conference.
- March 12, 1980. University of Toronto. Lecture topic: “Greek Canadians: Occupational Mobility and Cultural Survival” Sponsor: Office of Community Relations, University of Toronto.
- December 5, 1981. Lakehead University. Lecture topic: “Occupational Integration of Greek Canadians” Sponsor: The Committee of Multiculturalism and Immigration, Lakehead University.
- March 5, 1982. University of Toronto. Lecture topic: “Kin-Networks as Support Systems for the Immigration and Settlement of Greek Canadian Immigrants” Sponsor: Greek Students Association, University of Toronto.
- May 1, 1982. Kennedy Collegiate Institute, Windsor, Ontario. Lecture topic: “Greek Canadians: Occupational Mobility and Cultural Survival” Sponsor: the Order of AHEPA (American-Hellenic Educational and Progressive Association).
- April 8, 1983. Greek Community of London, Ontario. Lecture topic: “Effective Lecture and Student Learning” Sponsor: Greek Language School of London.
- March 17, 1984. Conference on Multiculturalism and Education (Toronto, Ontario). Lecture topic: “Advantages and Disadvantages of Multiculturalism in Canada.” Sponsor: Hellenic-Canadian Federation of Ontario.
- December 14, 1984. Conference of the Hellenic Sociological Association (Athens, Greece). Lecture topics: “Occupational Distribution and Social Mobility of Greek Canadian Immigrants.” 67 and “Greek Canadian Communities: Organization, Conflict and Change.”
- January 28, 1985. Conference on Capital Punishment (London, Ontario). Lecture topic: “Capital Punishment: A Sociological Perspective” Sponsor: Christian Renewal Centre of London.
- March 9, 1987. Conference on Greeks in Canada (Ottawa). Lecture topic: “Intra-ethnic Conflict and Its Consequences.”
- November 21, 1987. Conference of the Hellenic-Canadian Federation of Ontario (Toronto). Lecture topic: “Prospects for the Occupational Mobility of the Second Generation Greek Canadians.”
- April 28, 1988. Conference on The Hellenic Diaspora from Antiquity to Modern Times (Athens, Greece). Lecture topic: “The Impact of Greek Politics on Greek Canadian Communities.”
- May 5, 1990. “Krikos” Association, Chicago, Ill., U.S.A. Lecture topic: “Organization and Change of Greek Canadian Communities.”
- April 20, 1991. Conference of the Hellenic-Canadian Federation of Ontario. Lecture topic: “Social Change and Prospects for Ethnic Survival: The Case of Greek Canadians.”
- September 19, 1991. Conference on The Greek Diaspora in the Twentieth Century, University of Oxford England. Lecture topic: “Greeks in Canada: An Historical and Sociological Perspective.”
- March 27, 1991. Conference on the Greeks in English Speaking Countries, Melbourne, Australia. Lecture topic: “Historical Development, Conflict and Social Change of Greek Communities in Canada.”
- November 26, 1993. Conference on Hellenism Towards the 21st Century. Sponsored by the Cyprus Research Center, Nicosia, Cyprus. Lecture topic: “Social Change and Prospects for Ethnic Group Survival in a Multicultural Society.”
- May 12, 1994. Conference on Greeks in English Speaking Countries: Culture, Identity and Politics. Sponsored by the S.B. Vryonis Center for the Study of Hellenism, California State University, Sacramento, CA. Lecture topic: “Factors Affecting Ethnic Group Cohesion.”
- May 20, 1994. Forum sponsored by the Onassis Center for Hellenic Studies, New York University, N.Y. Lecture topic: “Canadian Multiculturalism and Ethnic Group Survival: A Critical Perspective.”
- May 26, 1994. Forum on Multiculturalism and Education. Sponsored by the Ethnocultural Council of London, Ontario. Lecture topic: “Assessing Multiculturalism in Canada with Special Reference to Educational Policies and Programs.”
- June 6, 1994. Seminar on Violence Against Women. Sponsored by the Greek Canadian Women’s Association, London, Ontario. Lecture topic: “The Problem of Marital Violence.”
- June 12, 1999. Conference on Greeks in Canada sponsored by the Greek Canadian Congress, Calgary, Alberta. Lecture topic: “Factors Contributing to Ethnic Exogamy with Special Reference to Greek Canadians.”
- January 30, 2002. Hellenic Studies Lecture Series sponsored by Concordia University, Montreal. Lecture topic: “Social Change and Prospects for Ethnic Group Survival.”
Scholarly and Professional Activities
- Research Director for a study on Greek Canadians from March 1974 to August 1977. This project was sponsored by the Department of Secretary of State, Ottawa.
- Bias evaluator for the Ontario Human Rights Commission from 1975 to 1980.
- Research for the Ontario Ministry of Labour (December 1, 1975, to March 30, 1976).
- Participated in a study on cyclical unemployment in the Ontario construction industry. The study was primarily concerned with the forecasting of construction manpower requirements and supplies at the provincial and regional levels.
- Co-Editor of the International Journal of Family and Marriage, 1992-1995.
- Evaluator of Applications for the Canada Council Research Grants from 1988 to 1995.
- Co-Editor of The International Journal of Comparative Sociology 1991-1997.
- Served as a referee (evaluator) for the International Migration Review, Journal of Comparative Family Studies, International Journal of Comparative Sociology and the Canadian Ethnic Studies Journal.
- Served as a member of the Advisory Board for Annual Editions publications entitled Criminology and Criminal Justice from 1997 to present. Dushkin/McGraw Hill.
- Associate Research Director for a study on Greek Language Schools in Canada, 1997-2001. This research project was sponsored by the Greek Ministry of Education through the Department of Education University of Crete, Rethymno, Greece.
- Editor, Canadian Journal of Public Health from 2000 to present.
- Editorial Board member of Etudes Helleniques Journal, 2005 to present.
Radio Interviews on Marital Homicide
November 23, 1982 – KPSI Radio, Palm Springs, California
November 30, 1982 – CKUA Radio, Calgary, Alberta
December 14, 1982 – CBC Radio (Ontario Morning), Toronto, Ontario
March 10, 1983 – KOGO Radio, San Diego, California
April 15, 1983 – WKRQ Radio, Cincinnati, Ohio
April 18, 1983 – K97 Radio, Edmonton, Alberta
April 19, 1983 – C100 Radio, Halifax, Nova Scotia
April 19, 1983 – Q107 Radio, Toronto, Ontario
May 5, 1983 – CHML Radio, Hamilton, Ontario
May 11, 1983 – CFPL Radio, London, Ontario
May 16, 1983 – CHUM Radio, Toronto, Ontario
Significant College Administrative Duties
- Served as a Brescia University College representative to the Social Science Faculty Council (U.W.O.) from November 1981 to October 1982 and November 1989 to October 1990.
- Served as a Senator from November 1982 to October 1983.
- Served as a Brescia University College representative to the Faculty of Education (U.W.O.) from September 1986 to October 1987.
- Served as a member of the Research Ethics Committee, Brescia University College, from 2004 to 2011.
- November 1969 – received a $1,000 research grant from the Department of the Secretary of State (Canadian Citizenship Branch)
- 1971-72 and 1972-73 – awarded an Ontario Graduate Fellowship.
- September 1973 – awarded an $18,000 research grant from the Department of the Secretary of State to do the social history of Greek Canadians.
- 1984-86 – awarded $4,000 research grant from Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada to study (a) the Organizational Changes of Greek-Canadians Communities and (b) the Occupational Distribution and Mobility of Greek Canadians.
- 1996 – received the Volunteer Service Award from the Ontario Ministry of Citizenship, Culture and research in Honour of 15-year commitment to community voluntarism.