Associate Professor, School of Food and Nutritional Sciences
Office: MRW, Room 161
Telephone: 519-432-8353 ext 28068
- PhD, Food Science, University of Guelph
- MSc, Food Science and Technology, National Nutrition and Food Science Research Institute of Shahid Beheshti University of Medical Science, Tehran, Iran
- BSc, Nutritional Sciences, National Nutrition and Food Science Research Institute of Shahid Beheshti University of Medical Science, Tehran, Iran
Research and Scholarly Interests
- Phyto-nutrients and their application in food
- The relationship between modified fats and oils, and their physiological effects on human body health
- Replacing natural ingredients as preservatives or flavor agents in food products and reducing the use of synthetic additives
- Advanced Food Science – FN 3342
- Culture and Food – FN 3400
- Current Issues in Food Science and Technology – FN 4440
- Laboratory Methods in Food Science – FN 2350
- Current Issues and Controversies in Nutrition – FN 9111A
- Sensory Evaluation – FN 4452
- Institute of Food Science and Technology
- American Oil Chemists’ Society
- Walker,L., and Ahmadi, L. Quantification of daily phenolic compounds intake from fresh fruits and 100% fresh fruit juice by university students. Plant Foods for Human Nutrition (Manuscript No. WSFR-2016-0038) (Under Revision) (2018).
- Ahmadi,L., Hao, X and Tsao,R. The effect of greenhouse covering materials on phytochemical composition and antioxidant capacity of tomato cultivars. Journal of the Food Science and Agriculture, DOI 10.1002/jsfa.8965 (2018).
- Ahmadi, L., El Kubbe, A., and Roney, SK., Cardio protective effects of green grape juice: A Review. Current Nutrition and Food Science Journal, 13,1-6 (2017).
- Soltani, M., S. Hekmat, and L. Ahmadi. Microbial and sensory evaluation of probiotic yogurt supplemented with cereal/pseudo-cereal grains and legumes. International Journal of Dairy Technology, DOI: 10.1111/1471-0307.12389, (2017).
- Ahmadi, L., Shahmir, F. and Physical Characteristics of Peanut Butter Influenced by Fully Hydrogenated Flixweed Seed Oil (Descurainia Sophia L.). as a Stabilizer, Journal of American Oil Chemists’ Society., 93:743–746 (2016).
- Rebekah H., Hekmat,S., and Ahmadi, L. Examining the Cultural Competence of 3rd and 4th year Nutrition Students: A Pilot study, Canadian Journal of Dietetic Practice and Research, Vol 76, No 4 (2015).
- Ahmadi, L.; Zhang, T.C., (editors). Cuisine from All over the World with a cultural perspective, e-book, Retrieved from https://owl.uwo.ca/portal/site (2013).
- Tosh, S. M., Ahmadi, L., Yip, L., Roudsari, M., and Wood P. J. Presence of ß-glucanas activity in wheat and dairy ingredients and use of organic salts as potential enzyme inhibitors. J Cereal Sci., 56 (3), 538-543 (2012).
- Ahmadi, L., Wright, A. and Marangoni, A. G. Structural and mechanical behavior of tristearin/triolein-rich mixtures and the modification achieved by interesterification. Food Biophys. DOI 10.1007/s11483-009-9102-2 (2009).
- Robinson, D. M., Martin, N. C., Robinson, L. E., Ahmadi, L., Marangoni, A.G., Wright, A.J. Influence of interesterification of a stearic acid-rich spreadable fat on acute risk factors for cardiovascular disease and type-2 diabetes. Lipids. 44, 1,17–26, (2009).
- Ahmadi, L., Wright, A. and Marangoni, A. G. Chemical and enzymatic interesterification of tristearin-triolein-rich blends I: Chemical composition, SFC and thermal properties. Eur. J. Lipid Sci. Technol. 110, 1025–1034(2008).
- Ahmadi, L., Wright, A. and Marangoni, A. G.Chemical and enzymatic interesterification of tristearin-triolein-rich blends II: microstructure and polymorphism. Eur. J. Lipid Sci. Technol.11, 1014–1024 (2008).
- Ahmadi, L. and Marangoni, A. G. Functionality and physical properties of interesterified high oleic shortening structured with stearic acid. Food Chem., 117, 668–673 (2009).
- Rogers, M. A., Ahmadi, L., Tang, D. and Marangoni, A. G.Fat crystal networks.In: Food Material Science,Eds. J. M. Aguilera, P. J. Lillford, Springer Verlag (Germany), 2007. pp. 369–414.
- Shahmir, F., Ahmadi, L., Mirza, M. and Korori, S.A.A. Secretory elements of needles and berries of Juniperus communis L. ssp. Communis and its volatile constituents. Journal of Flavour and Fragrance. 18,425–428(2003).
- Ahmadi, L., Mirza, M., and Shahmir, F. The Volatil Constituents of Artemisia marschaliana Sprengel and its secretory elements. Flavour Fragr. J. 17, 141–143 (2002).
- Ahmadi, L., Mirza, M. and Shahmir, F. Essential oil of Teucrium melissoides Boiss. &Hausskn. Ex Boiss. J. Essent. Oil Res. (2002).
- Ahmadi,L., Hao, X and Tsao,R. The effect of greenhouse covering materials on phytochemical composition and antioxidant capacity of tomato cultivars. The 23rd International Conference San Diego, CA, USA. April 24-25, (2018) (Presented).
- Hekmat,S, Soltani, M and Ahmadi, L. Quantitative analysis of Lactobacillus rhamnosusGR-1 in fermented probiotic milk products over refrigerated storage. American Dairy Science Association., Pittsburgh, PA, USA. June 25-28, (2017) (Presented).
- Walker,L., and Ahmadi, L. Quantification of daily phenolic compounds intake from fresh fruits and 100% fresh fruit juice by university students, Polyphenols Communication, Vienna, Austria, July 11-15, ( 2016) (Presented).
- Finley, M and Ahmadi, L. Formulating salad dressing containing unripe grape juice (verjuice) rich in phenolic compounds, OFPA, Toronto, ON., April 14, (2016) (Presented).
- Cheung, A, Garcia, A and Ahmadi, L. Spices in the Middle Ages, Mens et Mensa Second International Symposium, Brescia University College, London, On, Oct 30-31, (2015) (Presented).
- Ahmadi, L, Gao, X and VanderMey, J., Physical Characteristics of Peanut Butter Influenced by Fully Hydrogenated Flixweed Oil (Descurainia Sophia (L.)) as a Stabilizer, AOCS, Orlando, FL., US, May 3-6 (2015) (Presented).
- Soltani, M., He, S., Ahmadi, L., and Hekmat, S., Growth and Survival of Lactobacillus rhamnosus GR-1 In Milk Containing Various Prebiotic Agents During Frozen Storage, IUFOST, Montreal, QC, Canada, Aug 17-21st (2014) (Presented).
- Ahmadi, L. and Khalid, F. Physical and chemical properties of a traditional sour cream product rich in calcium and protein and lactose free, EuroFoodChemXVII, Istanbul, Turkey, May 6-9th (2013).
- Ahmadi,L., Lai, A., and Hekmat, S., Formulation of functional foods with ziziphous jujuba mill fruit extracts. EuroFoodChemXVII, Istanbul, Turkey, May 6-9th (2013).
- Ahmadi, L. and Narine, S. A comprehensive toolbox to evaluate the functional properties of waxes. AOCS Annual Meeting., Cincinnati, USA, May 1–4th (2011).
- Ahmadi, L. and Marangoni, A.G. Effects of fat crystal network structure on the physical properties of interesterified and non-interesterified fully hydrogenated canola oil and high oleic sunflower oil mixtures. 100th AOCS Annual Meeting and Expo., Orlando, USA, May 3–7th (2009).
- Ahmadi, L., Kramer, J. and Marangoni, A.G. Functionality and physical properties of interesterified high oleic shortening structured with stearic acid. 99th AOCS Annual Meeting and Expo. Seattle, USA, May 18–21st (2008).
- Ahmadi, L. Wright, A.J. and Marangoni, A.G. Modification of rich searin-olein blends by enzymatic and chemical interesterification. 98th AOCS Annual Meeting and Expo. Quebec City, QC, Canada, May 13–16th (2007).
- Ahmadi, L. Wright, A.J. and Marangoni, A.G. Modification of triolein-tristearin-rich blends by chemical interesterification; Changes in composition and physical properties. 97th AOCS Annual Meeting and Expo. St. louis, USA, April 30–May 3rd (2006).
- Ahmadi, L. Wright, A.J. and Marangoni, A.G. Structure and physical properties of tristearin-triolein-rich mixtures. 96th AOCS Annual Meeting and Expo. ,Salt lake city, USA, May 1–4th (2005).
- Mirza, M and Ahmadi, L. Composition of the essential oil from seed of Ferula gumosa Boiss.1st International congress on traditional medicine and materia medica, Tehran, 6–9 Nov. (2000).
- Ahmadi, L., Mirza, M. Jalilian, N. and Nemati, M. Essential oil of Oliveria decumbens grown in Iran. 31st International Symposium on essential oils. University of Hamburg , Sept. 10–13 (2000).
I believe in establishing a passion for lifetime learning for my students. I want to teach them that school is not the end of the learning and that we need to learn for whole of life. I also support their efforts and try to improve the skills and strengths by highlighting their successes. In addition, as a teacher my role is to not only teach students how to learn, but also encourage them to think independently and critically.