Division of Sociology and Family Studies
Office: BR 217
Telephone: 519-432-8353 ext 28238
- Honors B.A., Sociology, The University of Western Ontario
- M.A., Sociology, The University of Western Ontario
- Ph.D., Sociology, York University
Research and Scholarly Interests
Currently, my research involves exploring the effects of community service-learning on students and the communities in which they serve. I also have an interest in law and social inequality, with a specific focus on racism and discrimination within immigration law.
- Sociology 2144A/B: Sociology of Education
- Sociology 2215A/B: Bridging Classroom and Community: An Introduction to Community Development through Service-Learning
- Sociology 3330F/G: Community Development: Foundations
- Sociology 3334A/B: Community Practicum
- Sociology 3335A/B: Community Leadership
- Sociology 3360F/G, Law and Social Inequality
To be successful, the process of teaching and learning demands a commitment from both teacher and student. As an instructor, I strive to incorporate a mixture of pedagogical methods into my courses, including: lectures, student presentations and seminars, and individual or group projects. Wherever possible, students are invited to link classroom and community, by applying their sociological knowledge in real world settings. To get the most out of their educational experiences, students are encouraged to actively participate in their own learning by regularly engaging in critical reflection and commentary on course materials.
- 2006 “Managing Canadian Immigration: Racism, Ethnic Selectivity and the Law” (2nd Ed.) in E. Comack (ed.) Locating Law: Race/Class/Gender/Sexuality Connections. Halifax: Fernwood Publishing.
- 2006 Building Trust Conference Report (with Ron George, Andrea Kohan and Lina Sunseri)
- 2004 “Teaching Community Development: A Case Study in Community-Based Learning” (with Patrick Burman) in Teaching Sociology, Vol. 32, April: 160–176.
- 2003 “Beyond Book Learning: Cultivating the Pedagogy of Experience through Field Trips” in the Journal of Experiential Education, Vol. 26, No. 1: 24–33.
- 2002 Teaching Controversy. (with Livy Visano) Halifax: Fernwood Publishing.
- 2001 “Teaching Uncomfortable Topics: An Action-Oriented Strategy for Addressing Racism and Related Forms of Difference” in Teaching Sociology, Vol. 29, January: 62–79.
- 1997 Immigration and the Legalization of Racism. Halifax: Fernwood Publishing.