Professor, English, School of Humanities
Office: Ursuline Hall, Room 335A
Telephone: 519-432-8353 ext 28032
- Combined Honours B.A. in English and French at the University of Toronto and the Université de Provence
- M.A., English, Western University
- Ph.D., English, Western University
- Postdoctoral Fellow, Cornell University
- Postgraduate Certificate, Humber College School of Writing
Research and Scholarly Interests
- Creative Writing
- P.B. Shelley
- William Blake
- Jean-Jacques Rousseau
- English Romanticism
- Contemporary Canadian Poetry
- Dialogues with Frankenstein 1818
- The Brontes: Romance, Realism, and Myth
- Major British Authors
- Revelation in Literature
- Romantic Rebels
- Creative Writing
- General Literature and Composition
- Keats and Shelley
- Blake and Shelley: Visionary Poetics
- Restoration and Eighteenth-Century British Literature
- Nineteenth-Century British Literature
- The Prophetic in Literature
- The Family in Literature
- Women and Literature: Romantic Women Novelists
- Women and Literature: Victorian Women Novelists
- Women and Literature: Repressions and Representations of the Maternal
- Postmodern Canadian Literature
- Introduction to English Literature
- The Major Forms of Oral Discourse
- Poetry and Prosody
- Utopian Literature
- Canadian literature
- Monsters, Ghosts, and Demons in the Nineteenth Century
- “‘Let Me Converse with Spirits’: Haunting Interactions in P.B. Shelley’s Disembodied Dialogues” to New Perspectives on Romantic Interactions (Jagiellonian University Press, 2020).
- “Fractal Fiction in Alice Munro’s ‘Too Much Happiness’” in Alice Munro Everlasting: Essays on Her Works II. Ed. J.R. Struthers. Toronto: Guernica Press, 2020: 387-407. Essential Writers Ser. 52.
- “Frankenstein 1818: Reproduction, Autobiography, and Dialogue.” Lamar Journal of the Humanities: Special Issue: Bicentennial of Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein. Vol. 44, No. 1, Spring 2019: 9-28.
- “A Tale of Two Rousseaus” in European Romantic Review. Vol. 30, Issue 1. March 2019: 70-76.
- “Shelley’s ‘Hymn to Intellectual Beauty’ and Rousseau’s Julie: the Mirror and the Lake.” Wordsworth Circle. Winter, Vol. 48. 2017: 51-59.
- “Dream Shapes as Quest or Question in Shelley’s Prometheus Unbound” in Romantik: Journal for the Study of Romanticisms. Vol. 5, 2016: 110-126.
- “An Eerie and Numinous Place of Quiet Unknowing: Alice Munro’s ‘The Love of A Good Woman’ in Context” in The Windsor Review: Alice Munro, A Souwesto Celebration. Eds. J.R. Struthers and John B. Lee. Vol. 47. No. 2. Spring, 2015: (104-24).
- If water breathes (Wipf and Stock, 2019).
- gravity loves the body: poems by monika lee (Southwestern Ontario Press, 2008).
- Rousseau’s Impact on Shelley: Figuring the Written Self, Romantic Reassessment, Vol. 154, Salzburg Studies in Literature, Lewiston: 1999.
- skin to skin with Shelly Harder (Fire-stealing Primates’ Press, 2016)
- Slender threads (Canadian Poetry Association, EBIP, 2004).
- Brescia Award for Excellence in Teaching, 2013
- Recipient of an Ontario Arts Council Grant for Poetry in 2010.