Division of Sociology and Family Studies, Chair
Office: BR 210
Telephone: 519-432-8353 ext. 28279
- B.A. (Hons), Sociology and Applied Studies, University of Waterloo
- M.A., Sociology, McMaster University
- Ph.D., Sociology, McMaster University
Research and Scholarly Interests
- Sociology of Deviance, Criminology, Qualitative Research Methods, Symbolic Interactionism, Subcultural Studies, and Sociology of the Internet
- Introduction to Sociology
- Sociology of Deviance
- An Introduction to Criminology
- Qualitative Research Methods
- Puddephatt, A., Shaffir, W. & Kleinknecht, S. (Eds.). (2009). Ethnographies revisited: Conceptual reflections from the field. New York: Routledge.
- Kleinknecht, S. (2007). “The hacker spirit: An interactionist analysis of the hacker ideology.” In L. Tepperman and H. Dickinson (Eds.), Reading sociology – Canadian perspectives (pp. 21–24). Toronto: Oxford University Press.
- Kleinknecht, S. (2007). “An interview with Robert Prus: His career, contributions, and legacy as an interactionist ethnographer and social theorist.” Qualitative Sociology Review 3(2): 221–288.
- Shaffir, W., & Kleinknecht, S. (2005). “Death at the polls: Experiencing and coping with political defeat.” Journal of Contemporary Ethnography 34(6): 707–738.
- Kleinknecht, S. (2005). “Ethnographic insights into the hacker subculture.” In D. Pawluch, W. Shaffir, & C. Miall (Eds.), Doing ethnography: Studying everyday life (pp. 212–224). Toronto: Canadian Scholars’ Press.
- Latimer, J., Kleinknecht, S., Hung, K., & Gabor, T. (2003). The correlates of self-reported delinquency: Analysis of the National Longitudinal Survey of Children and Youth. Department of Justice Canada, Research and Statistics Division. Ottawa, ON.
- Latimer, J., & Kleinknecht, S. (2000). The effects of restorative justice programming: A review of the empirical research. Department of Justice Canada, Research and Statistics Division. Ottawa, ON.
Professional Organization Membership
- Canadian Sociology Association (CSA)
- American Sociological Association (ASA)
- Society for the Study of Symbolic Interaction (SSSI)
- I am an approvals editor for the Qualitative Sociology Review, which is an online journal published three times a year out of Poland.
- I have been actively involved, as a participant and organizer, with the “Qualitative Analysis Conference,” which is an annual conference showcasing ethnographic approaches to the study of everyday life.
- My wife and I are Ultimate enthusiasts and play as much as we can with our team, Chunky Monkey.