Management and Organizational Studies Coordinator, School of Leadership and Social Change
Associate Professor, Management and Organizational Studies
Office: Ursuline Hall, Room 333
Telephone: 519-432-8353 ext 28229
- B.A., Political Science, Wilfrid Laurier University
- MBA., Richard Ivey School of Business, Western University
- Diploma, Applied Social Research, Georgian College
Research and Scholarly Interests
SME business strategy development and execution, leadership, consumer behaviour, and food marketing.
- MOS 3250A/B – Starting a Business or Social Enterprise
- MOS 3320A/B – Marketing for MOS
- MOS 3322F/G – Integrated Marketing Communication
- MOS 4411A/B – New Product Development Management
- MOS 4415A/B – Brand Management
- DOL 3333A/B – Leadership Development
- Colleen Sharen and Nicole Nolan, “MediText”, Contemporary Canadian Marketing Cases, 4E Pearson Education. Ed. H.F. (Herb) MacKenzie. (In press).
- “The Health Nut”. Ivey Publishing. (2008).
- “The Piercer”. Ivey Publishing. (2008).
- “Alice Saddy: Caring for the Community”. Ivey Publishing. (2008).
- “Decision Making, Emotions and Entrepreneurship”. Technical Note. Ivey Publishing (2008).
- “Spreading Happiness: Warm Fuzz Cards”. Ivey Publishing. (2009).
Recent Articles in Peer Reviewed Journals
- Feltham, M., & Sharen, C. (2015). What do you mean I wrote a C paper?: Writing, revision and self-regulation. Collected Essays on Learning and Teaching (CELT). 8(1)
- Sharen, C., & Breward, K. (2015). Making the hidden visible: Dealing with disability in the workplace. Case Research Journal. 35(4).
Recently Published Cases
- Sharen, C. & Widdifield, T. (2015). Art Feeds: Scaling a Nonprofit Organization. London, ON.: Ivey Publishing.
- Sharen, C. (2014). Women’s Community House and Mine101: Is Social Enterprise Worth It? London, ON.: Ivey Publishing.
- Sharen, C. (2014). St. John the Compassionate Mission: Leadership and Organizational Culture. London, ON.: Ivey Publishing.
Conference Presentations and Proceedings
- “Dust Bunnies Away: The New Business Decision”. Conference Presentation and Proceedings. Administrative Sciences Association of Canada (ASAC) Annual Conference. May 2010.
- “Dust Bunnies Away: Growth Strategies”. Conference Presentation and Proceedings. Administrative Sciences Association of Canada (ASAC) Annual Conference. May 2010.
- “The Health Nut”. Ivey Publishing. (2008). Conference Presentation and Proceedings, Administrative Sciences Association of Canada (ASAC), Annual Conference. June 2009.
- “The Piercer”. Ivey Publishing. (2008). Conference Presentation. Administrative Sciences Association of Canada (ASAC) Annual Conference. June 2009.
- Society for Teaching and Learning in Higher Education
- Administrative Sciences Association of Canada
- North American Case Research Association
- Business and Professional Women’s Club of London
- Pillar Nonprofit Network
Prior Work Experience
- Western Canadian Marketing Director, Canada Bread
- Marketing Director, Grocery Gateway
- Category Business Director, Kraft Canada
- Marketing Manager, General Mills Canada
- Brescia University College Excellence in Teaching Award, 2015/16.
- Brescia University College Dean’s Teaching Honor Roll (2013/14; 2015/16)
Research Awards and Editorial Publications
- Member, Case Research Journal Editorial Board.
- Outstanding New Reviewer, Case Research Journal, August 2016.
- Outstanding Reviewer, Case Division at the Administrative Sciences Association of Canada Annual Meeting, June 4, 2016.
- Nominee, EFMD Case Writing Competition, St. John the Compassionate Mission: Organizational Culture and Leadership in the Responsible Leadership category, 13 November 2015.
- Best Case, Foundation for International Development Assistance: Building Organizational Capacity. Administrative Sciences Association of Canada. Calgary, AB (8 – 11 June 2013)
- Institutional Award for Case Writing Excellence, Administrative Sciences Association of Canada. Montreal, QC (July 2011)
- Institutional Award for Case Writing Excellence, Administrative Sciences Association of Canada. Regina, SK (July 2010)
Recent Media Interviews
Lewington, J. Business School News, “Young women learn you don’t have to be mean and bald to be an entrepreneur.” The Globe and Mail. http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/careers/business-education/young-women-learn-you-dont-have-to-be-mean-and-bald-to-be-an-entrepreneur/article31053826/. (22 July 2016)
- Past board member, Family Service Thames Valley.
- Past marketing committee member, Innovation Works.
- Management Consulting
- Blog: http://colleensharen.wordpress.com
- Grand Bend and Area Chamber of Commerce, Past Marketing Committee Chair
- Institute for Women in Leadership (iWIL), member of steering committee
- iWIL conference committee member
- London Business and Professional Women’s Club, 2nd Vice President
- Grand Bend Karate Club
- Brescia Faculty Association, Treasurer