Associate Professor, Management and Organizational Studies, School of Leadership and Social Change
Office: BR 120
Telephone: 519-432-8353 ext 28070
- CPA, CMA (Chartered Professional Accountant)
- Master of Business Administration, Ivey Business School, Western University
- Bachelor of Arts, Honors Business Administration, Ivey Business School, Western University
Research and Scholarly Interests
My main area of academic interest is women entrepreneurs. I explore both supports and barriers by assessing the effectiveness of entrepreneurial education initiatives and by investigating the unique motivations of the growing group of women entrepreneurs known as mompreneurs. I have been a guest blog contributor at The Mompreneur®.com where I translated findings from the academic literature to practicing women entrepreneurs. I am also interested in the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning as well as small business management which I research and publish in the context of case studies.
- Professor Jean’s research with ‘mompreneurs’ is featured in Living Research – 2010, Volume 1
- Exploring the Motivations of Mompreneurs – Western News (October 2011)
- MOS 2205F/G – Business Communications
- MOS 3370A/B – Management Accounting
- MOS 4400A/B – Field Study – Community Consulting
- Business 1220E – Introduction to Business
- Business 2257 – Accounting and Business Analysis
- Foods & Nutrition 4422A/B – Financial Management & Control for Food & Nutrition Students
Representative Publications & Presentations
- Jean, M and J. Drewnowsky. (2016). The Miswak Company, Ivey Publishing, London, ON.
- Jean, M. and C. Sharen. (2016). Who Me? Increasing High School Girls’ Entrepreneurial Self-Efficacy, Knowledge and Intentions. Paper presented and proceedings publication at the 30th Annual Conference of the United States Association for Small Business and Entrepreneurship: Competitive Paper Track. San Diego, CA, USA.
- Jean, M. (2014). Sweet Leaf Bath Co., Ivey Publishing, London, ON.
- Jean, M. (2013). Sweet Leaf Bath Co. Case presented at the 58th Annual Conference of the International Council for Small Business. Ponce, Puerto Rico.
- Jean, M. and C. Forbes. (2012). An Exploration of the Motivations and Expectation Gaps of Mompreneurs. Journal of Business Diversity, 12(2), 112–130.
- Jean, M. and C. Forbes. (2012). Mompreneurs: An Exploration of Their Entrepreneurial Reality. Paper presented at the 26th Annual Conference of the United States Association of Small Business and Entrepreneurship: Developmental Paper Track. New Orleans, LA, USA.
- Jean, M. and Sturby, C. (2011), Fortune Minerals – The NICO Project. Case presented at the Annual Conference of the Administrative Sciences Association of Canada: Case Track Division. Montreal, Quebec, Canada.
- Jean, M. and Sturby, C. (2011), Fortune Minerals – The NICO Project, Ivey Publishing, London, ON.
- Sturby, C. and Jean, M. (2011). Fortune Minerals – Adoption of IFRS, Ivey Publishing, London, ON.
- Jean, M. (2011). Mompreneurship, Company, Fall 2011.
- International Council for Small Business
- United States Association of Small Business and Entrepreneurship
- Chartered Professional Accountants of Ontario
- Society for Teaching and Learning in Higher Education
Brescia & Community Activities
- President, Brescia Faculty Association
- Faculty Advisor for “The Pink Ties” Student Club
- Committee Member, Women’s Entrepreneurship Initiative
- Student Liaison, Chartered Professional Accountants of Ontario Board Member, Daya Counselling Centre
- Member, Verge Capital Loan Review Panel
- Straight Talk Prof Blog