Girls LEAD London
Girls LEAD London
Welcome to the Girls Leadership, Education, And Development (LEAD) Summer Camp Program! Girls LEAD is an exciting program designed to support young women in their growth and development. Girls who complete our summer day camp will connect with others, celebrate themselves and learn how to influence positive change in the world around them.
About the Camp
The Girls LEAD summer camp program launched in 2008 in partnership with Brescia’s Institute for Women in Leadership. The program consists of five sections for girls entering grades three/four (Junior), five/six (Intermediate) and seven/eight (Senior) with a slightly different leadership and development focus for each age group.
- Each camp session runs for two weeks from 8:30am-4:30pm daily (excluding weekends).
- This year, 2013, we are offering two sessions of our Junior (Grades 3-4)and Intermediate Camp (Grades 5-6) and one session of our Senior Camp (Grades 7-8).
- Camp programming occurs on-site at Brescia University College with a mixture of both outdoor and indoor activities.
- Our Camper:Counselor Ratio never exceeds 7:1.
- The camp's leadership curriculum and creative, fun activities are grounded in the Social Change Model of Leadership (http://socialchangemodel.ning.com/).
- A nutritious and delicious lunch program is included in the camp registration fee for all campers. Campers get to prepare their own lunch each day in Brescia's Food Labs under the supervision of trained staff. The lunch menu and related activities are developed by senior Brescia students enrolled in Brescia's Food and Nutrition program and approved by the Faculty of Food and Nutrition. Food allergies and special diets can be accommodated, please be sure to communicate these needs on the camp registration form.
- Daily recreation activities are included in the camp programming. Campers typically go swimming two times per week at the Western Campus Recreation Centre on campus and participate in activities like yoga, Zumba and dance workshops on alternate days.
- A Camp Showcase is prepared by the campers during each session and parents and guests are invited to attend the Showcase to learn more about what their campers learned and participated in during their time at Girls LEAD.
Junior Camp (Grades 3-4)
“I learned that anyone can be a leader and that leaders show respect for others.” 2012 Junior Camper
“The camp was excellent. It was great that the campers got to meet different women doing different careers. We will be back next year! The counsellors were excellent!” 2012 Parent
As girls enter grades three and four, they tend to assume more responsibility for their actions, become more self-aware and also begin to recognize the needs of others. In the Junior Girls LEAD camp we promote healthy self-awareness and the development of positive social skills.
During the program, girls are encouraged to cultivate their own interests and try new things: Do they want to read with a counselor in the Book Nook? Spend their free time drawing? Invent a new game with the other girls? Girls particularly enjoy making their own lunches in the food lab. Campers love activities like the Responsibility Bucket, the Girls CAN Challenge and when female leaders from our community visit camp to talk about their unique careers. Each day we ensure we spend time playing energetically, and often finish our activities with “relaxation and reflection time” (always a big hit)!
Intermediate Camp (Grades 5-6)
"I learned that I can do anything I put my mind to." 2012 Intermediate Camper
"It is important to be a leader because you can make a change in someone's life." 2012 Intermediate Camper
"This camp was the best one that my daughter has attended. It remained interesting and challenging each day. As a parent, I was really pleased with the new information and recipes my daughter was able to learn. Thank-you so much!" 2012 Parent
As the girls enter grades five and six, they tend to be improving their self-concept and acceptance of others, increasing their independence and becoming more focused on building relationships with others. In the Intermediate Girls LEAD camp we focus on self-discovery, positive thinking and self esteem enhancement, developing healthy relationships and practicing our assertive communication skills.
During this session, we will be playing many fun & upbeat games to get our energy flowing. Girls will play team sports and games, participate in swimming, arts and crafts and music activities and they will also have time for quiet reflection and journaling. Girls will have the opportunity to make their own healthy and nutritious lunches in Brescia’s food labs such as personalized pizzas, spaghetti, breakfast for lunch, etc.
Senior Camp (Grades 7-8)
“I feel that most activities benefited and interested me in many ways…I have changed, made friends, and learned so much about how to be a leader.” 2011 Senior Camper
“As a parent I have noticed how much better she has done each year that she has attended the camp. Her interpersonal skills are much better and better able to handle conflict resolution situations that she is in”. 2012 Parent
As the girls enter grades seven and eight, they tend to develop a growing sense of intuition and insight into self and others, they become increasingly more self reliant and they have a stronger desire to be like their peers and ‘fit in’. In the Senior Girls LEAD camp, we work on exploring their interests, talents, and strengths, and help them to consider who they want to become!
In this session, we also practice more advanced social skills that support positive self-expression and building healthy relationships. As well, we begin to really examine the meaning of leadership. Over the course of the week, each girl will decide on a goal that she would like to achieve in her life or her community as well as an action plan to achieve her desired outcome.
Of course, we will be doing a variety of other activities, from energetic drama games to reflective journaling. We will also be making cool arts and crafts projects, and getting some exercise each day (e.g. self-defense, swimming, capture the flag!).
Registration and Session Dates for 2014
2014 Session Dates will be available online HERE in January 2014.
Registration for Girls LEAD 2014 Summer Camps will be available HERE in January 2014.
- Hiring for the 2013 Girls LEAD Summer Camp Program is now closed.
- Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions regarding hiring for the Girls LEAD Summer Camp.