The Master of Science in Foods and Nutrition, Thesis Stream is a full-time 6 term graduate program. The Thesis Stream is suitable for students wanting to achieve a Master’s degree and advanced research skills. It does not train students to become Registered Dietitians in Canada.
Although housed at a women’s university, the MScFN program welcomes all genders to apply.
Options for flexibility to accommodate a part-time schedule may be possible. Please select that option on your application, and contact the academic department to discuss options.
Applicants to the MScFN Thesis Stream program must meet the admissions criteria of Western University, School of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies and Brescia University College, School of Food and Nutritional Sciences, as follows:
- Honors BSc in Foods and Nutrition program (or an equivalent four year degree)
- Undergraduate courses in Research Methodology and Statistics.
- Minimum undergraduate GPA of 78% on the last 10 Full Course Equivalent credits credits
- Relevant work and volunteer experience
- Demonstrated English language proficiency if English is not your first language
- The Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). Minimum acceptable score is 625 for the paper and pencil version, or 107 for the internet version. [Western’s TOEFL ID is 0984].
- The International English Language Testing Service (IELTS). Minimum acceptable score is 8 out of 9.
Applicants must meet selection criteria which evaluates the individual’s readiness for advanced practice, ability to plan and conduct research, and potential for leadership in the profession. Experience and performance in professional practice is considered an asset.
Internationally trained applicants including Registered Dietitians: Please see the Internationally Trained Applicants section for information and instructions.