At Brescia we have strong French programs created to meet the challenges of your future profession, whether it be in teaching, business, marketing, law, government, information technology, nutrition and foodservice, banking, or industry, and advertising. Small student-centred classes where learning is achieved through instructional technologies, individual work, group work, interactive exercises, and presentations, allow the focus to be on you and your learning.
Profs get to know you quickly and are interested in your success. Course content is designed with your best interests in mind. Over the four years of your French program we promise that you will get a solid foundation in both oral and written French.
Guaranteed Admission to the Faculty of Education at Western
Brescia University College students can apply for guaranteed admission to the Faculty of Education. This applies to students interested in teaching at the Junior/Intermediate with a teachable in French, or Intermediate/Senior with a first teachable in French.
Students interested in teaching at the Primary/Junior should apply to the Faculty of Education through the regular process.
Complete the Brescia Faculty of Education – Application form during Year 2 or Year 3. Please review the application form for specific requirements.
Students must also apply using the TEAS application on the Ontario Universities Application Centre by the stated deadline.
For more information, please contact Jennifer Coghlin, Associate Registrar, Student Success (email@example.com)
To learn about prerequisites for the French program, please click on the appropriate category below:
- Honors Specialization in French Language and Literature (admission discontinued)
- Honors Specialization in French Linguistics and Literature (admission discontinued)
- Honors Specialization in French Language and Linguistics (admission discontinued)
- Honors Specialization in French Studies
- Specialization in French Studies
- Major in French Studies
- Major in French for Teaching
- Minor in French Studies
What will you be learning?
In French Language courses, you will:
- understand why “things are said the way they are in French”
- have excellent instruction in French pronunciation and phonetics
- greatly improve your spoken and written French
- learn French as it is spoken in everyday life so that you will understand what “the locals” and French menus are really saying
- recognize common mistakes made by Anglophones in speaking French
In French Literature courses, you will:
- learn about French and Quebecois culture
- read some of the great masterpieces of French, Quebecois, and World Literatures
- have direct contact with the French language
- observe how French grammar rules are actually used
- learn to express your thoughts better in both oral and written French
- participate in engaging discussions on the real-life situations of fictional characters
- be surprised to learn much about other subjects such as Psychology, Sociology, History, Religion, Philosophy, and Geography
Our graduates find rewarding careers in positions, such as:
- Communications Specialist
- ESL Translator
- Foreign Correspondent
- Human Resources Worker
- Language Specialist
- Policy Analyst
Everything I have accomplished in the last seven years of my life is because of the education I received at Brescia. I remember my first day in French class with Sister Mary Frances, and how nervous I was to be away from home. It did not take long for me to feel like I was in the place where I was meant to be. I was introduced to a world of opportunities with the Volunteer French Teacher program, which is available only at Brescia. This program presented me with the professional connections and friendships I made in the teaching world, all of which helped me become the teacher I am today. I am proud to say Brescia built me as the leader I am, and I can now pass on this knowledge to my own students every single day.
– Lindsay Gerberdt ’14 – French immersion Teacher in the Avon Maitland District School Board
The full-time faculty members are:
- Dr. Nadine de Moras
- Ms. Heather Kirk
The contract faculty members are:
- Mr. Kenan Fanni
- Dr. Carmen McCarron