The Student Connector Program is an informal program that connects incoming international students with upper year students. The purpose of the program is for the upper year students to act as ambassadors and welcome the international students and assist with the transition to Brescia and London.
If you choose to track this on your Co-curricular Record there will be specific criteria that you will have to meet. This can be accomplished in the following ways:
- Contact the student/s prior to September or as soon as you get her/their name/s
- Establish a time and place to meet – at the initial meeting you might want to share something about yourself, ask if she needs assistance in any specific areas, learn something about her culture, share some of your first year experiences, fears etc and how you overcame these.
- Together you will determine how often you will meet and how you will stay connected (text, e-mail etc.). It is recommended that the connections be more frequent initially and decrease as she becomes more familiar with Brescia/London. Once she is feeling comfortable the connection is still necessary as your friendship is important to her.
- Remember that you can and will learn from each other so be open to how your friendship will develop.
- If you need support or are experiencing a negative situation, contact Christina email@example.com on Room 157, St. James Building.
What will you do together?
The following are some suggestions. Do not feel that you have to do these or that you are limited to them. Both you and the incoming student should feel comfortable with your choices and these should be a mutual decision.
- Be available to answer questions about Brescia, London, Canada
- Share personal experiences and show a willingness to learn about her culture in an unbiased way.
- Participate in Brescia activities/events together.
- Introduce her to your friends and meet hers where possible.
- Go shopping, to the movies etc. Ensure that costs can be covered by each of you.
- Invite her home if you are comfortable with this. Many international students never get inside a Canadian family home.
Join Student Connector
Registration Form – Upper Year Students
If you have checked off “Yes” to the above, the following criteria will need to be met in order to qualify for the Co-Curricular Transcript:
- Scheduled time including a minimum of:
- Four (4) hours in September
- Two (2) hours from October and November
- One (1) hour from December until April
- A brief training session
- Reflection and feedback about the program and your engagement in it.