What is Experiential Learning?
Experiential Learning can be defined as, “a philosophy that informs many methodologies, in which educators purposefully engage with learners in direct experience and focused reflection in order to increase knowledge, develop skills, clarify values, and develop capacity to contribute to their communities” (Association for Experiential Education).
At Brescia, Experiential Learning allows students to integrate hands-on practical experience with their academic studies. We currently support opportunities for experiential education through:
- MOS Internship Program
- Curricular Community-Engaged Learning
- Curricular Practicum, Placement, Project-Based experiences
These opportunities allow you to take advantage of high-impact and engaged learning, community involvement, and contribute to an enriched educational experience while you’re at Brescia.
Through Experiential Learning opportunities, you are able to:
- Use the theories you have been learning through coursework
- Apply them to concrete situations and real issues facing our world today
- Make meaning of your experiences through class discussion or group work, journaling, presentations, or capstone projects
The Student Life Centre encourages you to participate in Experiential Learning opportunities. As part of Brescia’s strategic plan, ‘Inspiring the Next Century of Women Leaders: 2017-2022’, we seek to increase the number of Experiential Learning opportunities available to students.