What are Bursaries?
Bursaries are non-repayable, taxable grants issued to students who demonstrate financial need. They supplement other sources of funding such as OSAP, the student’s own resources, and/or those of the parents/spouse.
Entrance Bursary Program - for First-Year Students
This one-time bursary is awarded to students:
- With no prior post-secondary degree or diploma and;
- Who have not attended Brescia previously and;
- Who are entering the preliminary year, or the first year of a degree program at Brescia and;
- Must be Canadian citizens, Permanent Residents of Canada, or Protected Person Status designation in Canada and;
- Who demonstrate financial need.
Deadline to Apply: October 15th, annually.
Application: Applications for the 2013-2014 academic year are not yet available.
Eleanore Donnelly Award
This $2,000 per year needs-based award is for a mature woman:
- Working towards her first degree
- Is renewable for up to four years, provided that the student continues to demonstrate financial need and maintain a 60% average in a minimum of three courses, or 60% of a full course load for the academic year.
- The recipient must be considered an Ontario resident, as set out in the OSAP residency criteria, and from London or surrounding area.
Deadline to Apply: July 31st, annually.
Application: Applicants apply through the Entrance Bursary Application (see above).
General Bursary Program – for Continuing Brescia Students
The General Bursary program is for:
- Non first-year students, first-year students with a prior degree or diploma, or first-year students with prior studies at Brescia and is;
- Generally awarded to Canadian citizens or permanent residents and;
- Who are registered full-time at Brescia University College and;
- Have shown satisfactory progress in the previous year's work and;
- Who demonstrate financial need.
There are a limited number of bursaries available for part-time students and international students.
Deadline to Apply: October 31st, annually. However, students are encouraged to apply early in the academic year to assist with their academic year costs. Students applying for bursary in the second term of the academic year are asked to set up an appointment with the Financial Aid Officer.
Application: General Bursary Application for the 2012-2013 academic year. Please complete the form electronically, print, sign and submit to Financial Aid at Brescia. To use the form you will need to have the Adobe PDF Reader. If you do not have, please:
Ontario First Generation Bursary
The Government of Ontario has allocated the funding to create a bursary fund for First Generation Students through the Ministry’s Access and Opportunities Strategy. This bursary opportunity will provide direct support to students with financial need who are the first in their families to attend post-secondary.
Deadline to Apply: October 31st, annually.
Application: Please complete the General Bursary Application for continuing Brescia students OR Entrance Bursary for First Year Students (see above for the appropriate application)
Aboriginal Postsecondary Education and Training Bursary
The Government of Ontario has allocated the funding to create a bursary fund to provide direct support to Aboriginal students in financial need to access support to assist in their participation in post-secondary education and training.
Deadline to Apply: November 15th, annually.
Application: Aboriginal PSET Bursary Application for the 2013-2014 academic year.
Senior Citizen Bursary
This bursary is available to senior citizens (if you are 60 years of age of older) who are registered at Brescia University College. The value shall cover up to the cost of tuition and will be applied directly to outstanding tuition fees.
Deadline to Apply: The application should be submitted prior to the start of classes for the session in which the bursary is required.
Application: Senior Citizen Bursary. Please submit applications to the Brescia Business Office.
International Student Bursaries
This in-course needs-based award has been established through the generosity of CultureWorks and has been designated to assist CultureWorks graduates continuing studies at Brescia and in financial need. Application available late July.
Deadline to Apply: September 30th, annually.
International students must demonstrate that they have sufficient resources to meet their financial needs in order to qualify for a student visa. International students who can demonstrate that they are facing an unforseen/unforseeable temporary financial emergency, are eligible to apply for bursary assistance. International students should also seek financial aid from sources in their country of residence.