Two smiling students looking at a laptop together.


Will students, faculty and staff be required to be fully vaccinated when attending classes? 

Yes, all students, faculty, staff and community members are required to be full vaccinated against COVID-19 while on campus.

I am a fully vacinated International student and plan on returning in the winter to Canada, do I still need to quarantine?

Yes, all students are required to have an appropriate quarantine plan in place even if they are fully vaccinated. The Officer at the boarder upon entry, will determine if you a exempted from quarantine. Students are still required to upload their proof of vaccination in the ArriveCan app and they are responsible for registering their quarantine plan with Western

For further questions, please contact:  Lissette Ochoa, International Program Coordinator at

What are the current vaccines approved by the Canadian government to be possibly exempted from quarantine?

Vaccines accepted by the Government of Canada for the purpose of travel to and within Canada:

  • AstraZeneca/COVISHIELD (ChAdOx1-S, Vaxzevria, AZD1222)
  • Bharat Biotech (Covaxin, BBV152 A, B, C)
  • Janssen/Johnson & Johnson
  • Moderna (mRNA-1273)
  • Pfizer-BioNTech (Comirnaty, tozinameran, BNT162b2)
  • Sinopharm BIBP (BBIBP-CorV)
  • Sinovac (CoronaVac, PiCoVacc)

To qualify as a fully vaccinated traveller, you must have received, at least 14 full days prior to the day you travel:

  • at least 2 doses of a vaccine accepted by the Government of Canada for the purpose of travel
  • or a mix of 2 accepted vaccines
  • or at least 1 dose of the Janssen/Johnson & Johnson vaccine

For more information, visit the Government of Canada website. 

I have heard that unvaccinated travelers are no longer allowed to enter Canada. Where can I find information on this?

As of January 15, 2022, all travelers coming into Canada will be expected to be fully vaccinated (I.E 2 Canadian approved Vaccines). For more information, visit the Government of Canada website. 

Do I need to be fully vaccinated in order to live in Clare Hall residence?

Students need to be fully vaccinated from a vaccine approved by the World Health Organization (WHO) to live in Clare Hall. 

For a list of the WHO approved vaccines, visit: WHO's COVID-19 Vaccines.

My parents/guardian want to travel into Canada with me. Are they allowed?

The Canadian government is closely monitoring the Covid-19 situation and individuals are advised to continue following the information and instructions on the government of Canada website:
Please also reach out to Lissette Ochoa International Program Coordinator at 

I am not able to get vaccinated due to medical concerns, but was looking forward to living in residence, what do I do?

As of January 15, 2022, federal requirements will not permit international students who are 18 years or older, who are unvaccinated, partially vaccinated or vaccinated with a vaccine other than the seven types mentioned above, to enter Canada. Therefore, all international or exchange students in this situation MUST plan to arrive in Canada no later than January 14, 2022.

For further questions, please contact: Lissette Ochoa, International Program Coordinator at

 I am concerned about the spread of Covid 19, What is Brescia doing to protect its students?

The safety and protection of our Brescia community is always first and foremost in our campus practices. Brescia will continue to reinforce campus safety measures in the area including proper hand washing signs and in depth cleaning of our classroom and office spaces, and COVID-19 screening practices.

We are closely monitoring the global situation and will continue to follow the advice and guidance of our provincial and local health experts. 

I am currently waiting on my visa and am concerned there may be delays in processing times. What happens if I end up arriving late for class?

Students are encouraged to inform their Academic Advisor of any travel updates, including Via concerns, before arriving to Brescia.

For further questions, please contact:  Lissette Ochoa, International Program Coordinator at

Disclaimer: The information on this page is unofficial and subject to change. Please review the original source of the information, hyperlinked in each section of the summaries listed below.

IRCC Website

All international students are encouraged to continue visiting the IRCC Website for specific information, answers, and updates from the Government of Canada related to international students during COVID-19. The IRCC Website is reviewed and updated regularly.

Western's COVID-19 Readiness Plan has been approved by the Ontario Government. Western, Brescia, King's, & Huron have been approved as Designated Learning Institutions (DLIs) able to reopen to international students whot aren't currently in Canada. Eligible international students who hold a valid study permit or have been approved for a study permit can now travel to Canada, provided they meet specific requirements and develop a safe 14-day quarantine plan.

All students arriving from abroad (international and Canadian citizens/PRs) are required to register their quarantine plan and follow the steps on the International Arrival website.

Questions? Please check the IESC COVID-19 FAQ webpage, email, or book an appointment with an International Student Advisor.


Applying for a Social Insurance Number (SIN)

If you are interested in applying for a social insurance number in order to work in Canada after the pandemic, please be aware that the Government of Canada has asked individuals to hold off on applying if it is not urgent. For the most updated information, visit the Government of Canada website.

Immigration Support

If you are wondering about visa, permit, and/or passport extension, you can book a phone or virtual meeting with one of Western's International Student Advisors by emailing: Please be aware that processing times are changing.

If your visa is set to expire soon: Immigration, Refugee, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) advises that you apply online to extend your status before it expires. This allows you to maintain your temporary resident status in Canada and thus, allows you to continue studying or working while your application for permit renewal is processed by IRCC. During this time, you will have legal status as a temporary resident, referred to as "implied status", but will not have a valid study permit or work permit to demonstrate your status. You also remain subject to the same conditions listed on your expired study or work permit.

If you have already applied to renew your study permit and visa are under an "implied status", you can continue to study and work even after your current expiry date, as long as you remain in Canada and are waiting for your documents. Currently, IRCC processing times are delayed.

If you leave or have left Canada: As travel restrictions are lifted and you are able to return to your studies at Brescia, you need a valid study permit and a valid Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) or Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA).

Immigration Scams & Fraud

Beware that scams have gone up during COVID-19 and being knowledgeable is key! You might be seeing more and more scams that look like they are emails coming from Immigration Canada. If you received such an email and are not sure if it is valid, you may contact Lissette Ochoa. REMEMBER: The most trusted source of immigration information is the IRCC website and the Government of Canada strongly encourages you to keep reading it for the latest updates.

To learn more about the kinds of scams that currently exist so you can keep yourself informed and protected, visit: The Little Black Book of Scams (Competition Bureau of Canada).

Online Courses Won’t Affect Your PGWPP Eligibility

If your courses this fall are being moved to an online-only format because of COVID-19, you’re still eligible for the Post-Graduation Work Permit Program (PGWPP).

Changes to Work Restrictions
The Canadian government has temporarily removed the restriction that allows international students to work a maximum of 20 hours per week while classes are in session. This applies to you if you are working in an essential service or function, such as health care, critical infrastructure, or the supply of food or other critical goods.

Coverage for COVID-19 Testing

You should first do a self-assessment following the Ontario Ministry of Health guidelines and if you then need to visit an assessment centre for testing, you should take a paper copy of your UHIP card and a copy of a claim form with you.

UHIP and Vaccine coverage

For UHIP members residing in Ontario
Sun Life received confirmation from the MOH that non-OHIP insured individuals residing in Ontario (including UHIP members) are eligible for the COVID-19 vaccine at no cost, regardless of where it was administered (public health unit vaccination sites, designated pharmacies, walk-in clinics, family doctors, others).  Clinics and family doctors have been instructed to bill MOH directly.

For UHIP members residing in Canada, but outside of Ontario
They do not have to pay for the vaccine at designated public health unit vaccination sites and designated pharmacies only.
They may have to pay for the vaccine outside of these sites, such as walk-in clinics, family doctor, others. If they paid for the vaccine, they can submit a claim to Sun Life for reimbursement up to the UHIP designated amount.