Aerial view of Brescia's campus


On your pay, you will see there is a difference between what you make (your gross earnings) and what your “take – home pay” (your net pay) is.

Employees who are not residents of Canada, but are in regular and continuous employment in Canada, are subject to the same tax deductions as Canadian residents.

Employers are required to make deductions from pays in a specific sequence. The first deductions from a pay are to withhold your Canada Pension Plan contributions, Employment Insurance premiums, and federal and provincial income tax. Those are the basic statutory deductions for any employee. Following those deductions are garnishments and any mandatory or voluntary employment related deductions.

Statutory Deductions

For Income Tax, Canada Pension Plan (CPP), Employment Insurance (EI) and other legislative rates, please visit the CRA website.

Employment Insurance (EI)

Employment Insurance provides financial assistance when you’re unemployed and looking for work, and to Canadians who are sick, pregnant, caring for a newborn or adopted child, or caring for a relative who is critically ill.

Both employees and employers pay EI premiums. Employers must pay employment insurance (EI) premiums for each dollar of insurance earnings up to the yearly maximum. As an employer, the University pays a certain amount of EI premiums based on the EI deductions from an employee’s remuneration.
There is no age limit for deducting EI premiums.

Learn more

Canada Pension Plan (CPP)

Canada Pension Plan contributions are deducted from your employment income if you:

  • are 18 years or older, but younger than 70; and
  • are in pensionable employment during the year

Both employees and employers contribute to CPP. Your portion is deducted directly from your pay cheque, and your employer matches your contributions and these are remitted to the Canada Revenue Agency.

The Canada Pension Plan contribution amount is calculated based on your gross pensionable earnings up to a ceiling for the given year. The ceiling is called your maximum pensionable earnings (YMPE). In addition, you’re allowed to earn a certain amount of money before CPP must be deducted. This amount is called the year’s basic exemption (YBE).

If you have reached the age of 65 and are in receipt of a CPP pension, and you do not wish to make CPP contributions, you must file a CPT30 with the CRA in order to stop the contribution, and provide the payroll office with a copy of this filing.

Learn more

Income Tax
Income tax will be deducted from your employment income based on the total claim amounts stated on the Federal and Provincial TD1 Forms – Personal Tax Credit Return 
The Personal Tax Credit TD1 Forms

The federal and provincial Personal Tax Credits Return TD1 forms must be completed by new employees and submitted to payroll. The information on these forms is used by payroll to determine the amount of federal and provincial income tax to deduct from an employee’s income.

You do not have to complete a new TD1 every year unless you have changes to claim extra tax credits, or additional taxes to be taken off on each pay.


T4’s & T4A’s

T4 and T4A slips for the 2022 tax year will be available through OWL for all active employees by the end of February 2023.

Paper Tax Slips for Active Employees

Active employees who have requested to receive paper delivery of their T4 or T4A slip prior to January 31, 2023 will receive 2022 tax slips in the mail.

Any requests submitted after January 31, 2023 will affect T4 distribution starting in 2024.

Inactive Employees

Inactive employees will receive paper tax slips in the mail. These documents will be sent to the most recently recorded mailing address in payroll. 2022 tax slips will be mailed from the University by the end of February.

Inactive employees who have moved or changed addresses in the past year must notify payroll at to have your mailing information updated for future pay statements and tax slips.

Inactive employees who do not receive a tax slip in the mail may contact to request a paper copy after March 15, 2023.

Please include the following information in your request:

  • Full name
  • Date of birth (YYYY-MM-DD)
  • Phone Number
    Delivery method:
  • Email—please submit your request in writing and provide a valid email address
  • Standard mail—please provide a valid mailing address
  • Pick-up in person—please visit the payroll office at UH room 242, between Monday to Friday, 90:00am to 4:00pm. A valid piece of photo ID may be required.
T2200 – Employment expense

Canada Revenue Agency form T2200 – Process outline for completion of the Declaration of Conditions of Employment form.

An employee’s eligibility to claim expenses will be reviewed on an individual basis. When an employer is asked to sign a completed Form T2200, they are certifying that the expenses paid by the employee are required within the employee’s terms and conditions of employment. The specific terms should appear in the employee’s employment contract or negotiated contract, and not all expenses that are reimbursed by Brescia may be eligible expenses under CRA guidelines for this deduction.


The Form T2200 can only be signed when the conditions for each type of expenditure are met. 

  1. Employees will provide a brief written statement outlining the type of expenses incurred and the basis for requesting the form T2200. This statement will be submitted to the payroll office.
  2. The payroll officer will review the list of expenses against those eligible for reimbursement under the CRA guidelines and against PER/CWRTER spending.
  3. The Form T2200 must be signed by the Vice-Principal, Finance and Administration.
  4. The payroll officer will inform the employee once the form is authorized and can be picked up. Please allow 10 business days for completion of forms.

Qualifying Expenses

For complete details on CRA’s current allowable employment expenses, please see Guide T4044 – Employment Expenses available.

A signed T2200 does not provide an employee with any assurance that expenses incurred are deductible. The eligibility to deduct employment expenses is governed by the Canada Revenue Agency. Employees wishing to deduct employment expenses are advised to review the Canada Revenue Agency’s publications and/or seek advice from their personal tax consultant.

CRA Publications

Information - 2022 Tax Year Expenses

The federal government continues to support employees working from their homes during the COVID-19 pandemic. Eligible employees who worked from home in 2022 will have the ability to claim up to $500 in employment expenses as a flat rate.