Dear Class of 2020,
Though we may not be able to gather in person to celebrate at this time, I want you all to know that the Brescia community wishes to acknowledge their achievements and is proud of your hard work and accomplishments. Even though our current situation is not ideal, we do not want our physical distance to overshadow the joyful and significant moments experienced over your time at Brescia.
We are proud of you, our graduating students, for reaching your academic and personal goals and remaining strong through the finish line, completing your Brescia journey. As well, you have moved through these challenging past few months with exceptional grace and determination. The Class of 2020 will be bound by this moment in history, where you have overcome obstacles that no other Brescia graduating class has ever faced and responded with perseverance and flexibility.
To mark this significant milestone, our community will come together and recognize your achievements by hosting a virtual “Class of 2020” celebration. Please mark your calendars for Saturday, June 20th at 11:00 a.m. EST. All are welcome to join–friends and family who are both near and far. Our Class of 2020 celebration will be easy to access through our website; additional details will be shared with you in the coming weeks.
Please note that this celebration will not replace any official graduation ceremony. Discussions are underway as to how we will mark this occasion in-person at a later date when health authorities advise it is safe.
Brescia’s Class of 2020 is filled with outstanding students. Your academic achievements and contributions to our community are a source of great inspiration for our staff, faculty and students and alumnae. Our graduating class has displayed a high degree of resiliency and are true examples of the bold leaders Brescia graduates. We are so proud of your accomplishments and know you are prepared to make a positive impact in our world, leading with wisdom, justice and compassion.
Susan Mumm, DPhil, FRHistS
Here are a few tips for your video:
- Remember to keep it to 8-10 seconds or your video may not be included
- Record with the camera horizontal, not vertical
- Use the actual camera, not “selfie” camera – the quality is much better. Prop the phone on something to hold it up or ask a family member to take a photo for you. Choose a spot where you feel most comfortable.
- Look into the lens of the camera. It’s noticeable if you look elsewhere!
- Take advantage of natural light: a bright window or a shady spot outside
- Remember to smile and talk with enthusiasm!
- Audio tip: to ensure the best sound quality, make sure you are recording in a quiet room with no background noise, speaking directly into your camera’s built-in microphone
- If you must hold your phone, try to hold it by the edges. Avoid covering the bottom of the phone where the microphone is located so we can hear you!
Once you have recorded a video, here is how you can submit it:
- Email your video—along with your full name and academic major(s)—to email@example.com OR
- Save in the OneDrive folder: https://uwoca-my.sharepoint.com/:f:/g/personal/nnagules_uwo_ca/Ehh9TelsvllDtx8eRzATQscBVGnYZU1kG0_BeB50b-KMOw?e=AC3Zva
- All files saved to the OneDrive folder need to be named in the following format “First Name_Last Name_Degree” Example: “Jane_Smith_History”
Graduation photos taken (http://western.lifetouch.ca/western)
Get sized for Alumnae Ring (Book Appointment)
Relive the 2019 Graduation Experience…
For more information about your Brescia graduation, CONTACT US.
Alumnae Welcome Reception
Each year, the Brescia University College Alumnae Association invites local alumnae to campus to join our graduating class as we celebrate their last day of class as a Brescia student! For alumnae, it is a time to reconnect with campus and our students. For our soon-to-be graduates, it is a time to meet local alumnae, get sized for an alumnae ring and vote for the 2020 Grad Class Speaker. For all in attendance, it is an opportunity to hear from a captivating woman who we should all be proud to call a BOLD Brescia alumna while enjoying a breakfast in the Mercato.
Based on the decision to cancel classes and all discretionary events on campus, the 2020 Alumnae Welcome Reception has been cancelled.
Brescia Baccalaureate and Magisterial Ceremony
This special celebration marks your formal graduation from Brescia University College and is open to any Brescia-registered student who expects to graduate in either June or October. During this ceremony you will hear from your Grad Class Speaker, fellow students will receive academic awards and each graduate will be welcomed into the Brescia Alumnae Association with the presentation of alumnae rings.
Each graduate is automatically issued four (4) Baccalaureate tickets by Brescia. Brescia cannot issue additional tickets to students as space is limited. We suggest graduates to connect with fellow graduates as some may not need all four of their issued tickets.
2020 Event Details
Date: Sunday, June 14, 2020 – POSTPONED
Location: St. Peter’s Basilica in London, Ontario (map)
Should you and your family be planning to stay in London throughout your graduation weekend, please consider staying in Clare Hall. Our new state of the art residence facility is a perfect choice for your last memories on campus before you graduate. If interested, please review details on room options and see our online registration page.
Close to 400 students, family members, staff and faculty join together for a ticketed lunch at Brescia before graduates gather and process down the Brescia hill to Western Convocation led by a bagpiper.
Each graduate is automatically issued four (4) convocation tickets by Western. These tickets will be available at the end of May and can be accessed online. Should you require additional tickets, Western sends out an email with instructions to all graduating students in May.
2020 Event Details
Date: Monday, June 15, 2020 – POSTPONED
Location: Alumni Hall at Western University
For more information, visit Western Convocation