Two smiling students looking at a laptop together.

International Students


Are classes in person this year?
All students received an email from Interim Principal, Cheryl Jensen in the spring informing them that 80% of classes will resume to in person learning and 20% will be online. We encourage students to plan for a return in September.
I am an International student and plan on returning in the fall to Canada, do I still need to quarantine?

Yes, all international students are required to quarantine. If you have been fully vaccinated with one of the four Canadian approved vaccines (Moderna, Pfizer, Johnson and Johnson or AstraZeneca), then you will not have to book a mandatory three day hotel stay in Toronto, but will need to book a 14 day stay in a quarantine approved location in London.

You will be tested for COVID-19 upon arrival at the Toronto airport and will have to wait for results at your place of quarantine in London. Once a fully vaccinated student receives their results back from the airport, (this could take three to five days), and test negative for COVID-19, the student will be allowed to break the quarantine. This rule applies to both international and Canadian students traveling into the country. Please make sure to register your place of quarantine under the ArriveCan app.

Quarantine Registration Winter 2021 (

COVID-19 vaccinated travellers entering Canada - Travel restrictions in Canada –

If you need a place to quarantine, please make sure to book your 14 day quarantine stay with Maple Assist through Lissette Ochoa (International Program Coordinator: or inform Lissette that you already have an appropriate place to stay for quarantine. Any questions related to quarantine, please reach out to Lissette Ochoa International Program Coordinator. 

I am vaccinated with a vaccine from my country and it is not one of the four vaccines given in Canada: Pfizer, Moderna, Johnson & Johnson or AstraZeneca. Can I also be waived from quarantine?

No, at this time, students who have not been vaccinated with one of the four Health Canada approved vaccines will still need to quarantine three days in a government regulated hotel, and the remaining 11 days in London. The Government of Canada encourages all students to please bring proof of vaccination even if it is a vaccine from your home country as they are tracking this information. 

To see information on quarantine requirements, visit the government website:
Mandatory quarantine or isolation – Travel restrictions in Canada –

I am concerned about the costs of quarantine. Is there any support available to me?

Brescia has introduced the Ursuline Chatham Legacy fund. The Ursuline Chatham Legacy Fund will support costs that our full-time international students face as part of their COVID-19 travel quarantine requirements. To learn more about this financial support, please visit our International Quarantine Travel Support page.

Do I need to be fully vaccinated in order to live in Clare Hall residence?

Students need to be vaccinated at least with one dose from a vaccine approved by the World Health Organization (WHO). Students will need to ensure they have their first vaccine no later than a week from moving into residence and be prepared to share proof of this with the Residence Manager of Clare Hall and/or the International Program Coordinator. All students in residence must be fully vaccinated By October 22, 2021.  

For a list of the WHO approved vaccines, visit: WHO's COVID-19 Vaccines.

My parents/guardian want to travel into Canada with me. Are they allowed?

Family members traveling with international students must demonstrate to the Canada Boarder Service Agent that their reasons for travel are non-discretionary (non-optional). Please read more information about parent travel on the Government of Canada website.

I am not able to get vaccinated due to medical concerns, but was looking forward to living in residence, what do I do?

Please reach out to Lissette Ochoa, International Program Coordinator ( for further guidance on what to do or your Carolyn Temple, Residence Manager ( for further instructions. 

I am concerned about COVID-19. What is Brescia doing to protect students as we transition back to in person learning?

The safety and protection of our Brescia community is always first and foremost in our campus practices. Brescia will continue to reinforce campus safety measures in the area including proper hand washing signs and in depth cleaning of our classroom and office spaces and COVID-19 screening practices.

I am currently waiting on my visa and am concerned there may be delays in processing times. What happens if I end up arriving late for class?

Students are encouraged to inform their Academic Advisor of any travel updates, including Via concerns, before arriving to Brescia.

Will students, faculty and staff be required to be fully vaccinated when attending in person classes in the fall?

Yes, all students, faculty, staff and community members are required to be full vaccinated against COVID-19 while on campus.

Disclaimer: The information on this page is unofficial and subject to change. Please review the original source of the information, hyperlinked in each section of the summaries listed below.

IRCC Website

All international students are encouraged to continue visiting the IRCC Website for specific information, answers, and updates from the Government of Canada related to international students during COVID-19. The IRCC Website is reviewed and updated regularly.

Western's COVID-19 Readiness Plan has been approved by the Ontario Government. Western, Brescia, King's, & Huron have been approved as Designated Learning Institutions (DLIs) able to reopen to international students whot aren't currently in Canada. Eligible international students who hold a valid study permit or have been approved for a study permit can now travel to Canada, provided they meet specific requirements and develop a safe 14-day quarantine plan.

All students arriving from abroad (international and Canadian citizens/PRs) are required to register their quarantine plan and follow the steps on the International Arrival website.

Questions? Please check the IESC COVID-19 FAQ webpage, email, or book an appointment with an International Student Advisor.


Applying for a Social Insurance Number (SIN)

If you are interested in applying for a social insurance number in order to work in Canada after the pandemic, please be aware that the Government of Canada has asked individuals to hold off on applying if it is not urgent. For the most updated information, visit the Government of Canada website.

Immigration Support

If you are wondering about visa, permit, and/or passport extension, you can book a phone or virtual meeting with one of Western's International Student Advisors by emailing: Please be aware that processing times are changing.

If your visa is set to expire soon: Immigration, Refugee, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) advises that you apply online to extend your status before it expires. This allows you to maintain your temporary resident status in Canada and thus, allows you to continue studying or working while your application for permit renewal is processed by IRCC. During this time, you will have legal status as a temporary resident, referred to as "implied status", but will not have a valid study permit or work permit to demonstrate your status. You also remain subject to the same conditions listed on your expired study or work permit.

If you have already applied to renew your study permit and visa are under an "implied status", you can continue to study and work even after your current expiry date, as long as you remain in Canada and are waiting for your documents. Currently, IRCC processing times are delayed.

If you leave or have left Canada: As travel restrictions are lifted and you are able to return to your studies at Brescia, you need a valid study permit and a valid Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) or Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA).

Immigration Scams & Fraud

Beware that scams have gone up during COVID-19 and being knowledgeable is key! You might be seeing more and more scams that look like they are emails coming from Immigration Canada. If you received such an email and are not sure if it is valid, you may contact Lissette Ochoa. REMEMBER: The most trusted source of immigration information is the IRCC website and the Government of Canada strongly encourages you to keep reading it for the latest updates.

To learn more about the kinds of scams that currently exist so you can keep yourself informed and protected, visit: The Little Black Book of Scams (Competition Bureau of Canada).

Online Courses Won’t Affect Your PGWPP Eligibility

If your courses this fall are being moved to an online-only format because of COVID-19, you’re still eligible for the Post-Graduation Work Permit Program (PGWPP).

Changes to Work Restrictions
The Canadian government has temporarily removed the restriction that allows international students to work a maximum of 20 hours per week while classes are in session. This applies to you if you are working in an essential service or function, such as health care, critical infrastructure, or the supply of food or other critical goods.

Coverage for COVID-19 Testing

You should first do a self-assessment following the Ontario Ministry of Health guidelines and if you then need to visit an assessment centre for testing, you should take a paper copy of your UHIP card and a copy of a claim form with you.

UHIP and Vaccine coverage

For UHIP members residing in Ontario
Sun Life received confirmation from the MOH that non-OHIP insured individuals residing in Ontario (including UHIP members) are eligible for the COVID-19 vaccine at no cost, regardless of where it was administered (public health unit vaccination sites, designated pharmacies, walk-in clinics, family doctors, others).  Clinics and family doctors have been instructed to bill MOH directly.

For UHIP members residing in Canada, but outside of Ontario
They do not have to pay for the vaccine at designated public health unit vaccination sites and designated pharmacies only.
They may have to pay for the vaccine outside of these sites, such as walk-in clinics, family doctor, others. If they paid for the vaccine, they can submit a claim to Sun Life for reimbursement up to the UHIP designated amount.