Students talking in hallway

Records of Employment (ROE)

A Record of Employment provides information on employment history and is used by Service Canada to determine whether a person is eligible to receive employment insurance (EI) benefits, what the benefit amount will be and for how long the benefit will be paid.

When an employment contract ends or leave is commenced, Payroll creates and submits and ROE to Service Canada within five business days following the pay in which the interruption of earnings occurs. 

Food Service employees – Although there is no contract end requiring an ROE. We submit ROE’s to Service Canada over the December holiday period if an interruption of earnings is longer than 5 days or more and again at the end of the academic year prior to the event season. 

Employees who have not terminated or gone on leave can also request an ROE by emailing The following information must be included in the request:

  • Your first and last name
  • Your department
  • Your last day of work to show on ROE

All ROEs are submitted to Service Canada electronically. If you would like a paper copy mailed to your home address, please also indicate this in your email request. You can access your ROE online through your My Service Canada Account generally on the same day it is issued.

Please note that you can begin your application for EI benefits through Service Canada prior to receiving your ROE.